Facts on employment and disability
Bottom line: Many people with disabilities are unemployed and want to work. The workforce development system can make a difference.
- Nearly 50 million Americans say they have a disability--almost one in five Americans. (Source: 2000 Census)
- People with disabilities make up 18.7% of the working age population, yet almost 70% of people with disabilities are unemployed.
- Among the unemployed, 2 out of 3 want to work. (Source: N.O.D./Harris Poll 2000)
Income, Benefits, and Poverty
- In 2001, almost 4 million working-age people received Supplemental Security Income (SSI). (Source: Social Security Administration)
- 1 out of every 3 Americans with disabilities lives in a household with an income of under $15,000 a year. (Source: N.O.D./Harris Poll 2000)
Scope of the Workforce Development System
There are almost 2,000 comprehensive One-Stop Centers nationally, with 4,500 additional affiliate sites. These Centers are mandated to serve all customers, including those with disabilities.
(Source: America's Service Locator)